[LRUG] test-driven development and rails question

Jon Wood jon at blankpad.net
Thu Feb 28 07:35:10 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:24 +0000, Dafydd Rees wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done a lot of test-driven development in Java (and a bit in a few
> other languages too), but I find the setup in rails a bit confusing.
>
> I want to ask people who've gotten used to the rails way of doing things:
>
> * When rails says "unit tests" does it really mean "unit tests for models"?

Most of the time yes.

> * .. and does rails see functional testing as "testing one or more of
> the controllers together"?

Functional tests are for testing a single controller functions correctly
- you can use integration tests to string together several controllers,
and check the application as a whole works though.

> It looks that way to me (although I've seen the asserts for testing
> template population in functional tests).
>
> What if a controller gets complex enough for me to extract a few classes
> out of it. It doesn't look like rails considers supporting those classes
> with unit tests.

There's nothing stopping you creating a unit test for those classes -
just drop it into test/unit/my_class_test.rb, and inherit from
ActiveSupport::TestCase