[LRUG] Sphincter Search: Works In Console, Not In App

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Thu Feb 28 12:11:04 PST 2008

On 28 Feb 2008, at 19:28, David Salgado wrote:
> OK, I'm sure you've already covered this, but you are looking at
> the same environment via console and your app. server, aren't you?

Thanks for the reply.

Both are running in the development environment.

I'm using a patched version of the Sphincter gem which I popped in
vendor/gems, as described here:

http://errtheblog.com/posts/50-vendor-everything

I had wondered whether the app was using the patched gem, and the
console was using the original in /usr/local/somewhere (or vice
versa), but when I modify the patched version to print out something
on the console, I see the output both when I search via the app and
via the console.  Hmmm.

Interestingly, I've noticed that the number of results (via the app)
is always correct, even though the records returned are wrong.

I've also noticed that when I perform a search whose results include
the User record with id 1, the results (via the app) do correctly
return that record first.

Together these lead me to suspect a broken mapping between Sphinx's
index and database table ids.

Does that trigger any ideas with you?

Regards,
Andy Stewart