[LRUG] Low usage production server options?

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 08:28:21 PST 2008

Not to be a nay sayer, to everyone else, but running a rails app on Windows
is certainly do-able.  One of our earliest rails apps here is deployed on a
windows box and it's been fine (setting up ssh/svn keys to get the code onto
it and the lack of being able to deploy with capistrano notwithstanding).
Sure, a unix solution is to be recommended, but that doesn't mean you can't
do it on windows.

If Simon has a windows box attached to the net, and he just wants to get his
app up and running, and he's comfortable with windows admin in a way he's
not with unix, then setting up a windows with ruby + apache + fcgi would
probably be the shallowest learning curve for him.

Once you know the app works, then you can look into 'real' hosting and
tackle the problem of learning to administrate unix separately.

Muz