[LRUG] [Off Topic] ImageMagick and Delegate Libraries

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Tue Jan 15 03:48:36 PST 2008

Hello Everyone,

This isn't a Ruby question but I'm hoping some of you will have
solved this problem in the course of your Ruby or Rails work.

I have installed ImageMagick on an Ubuntu LTS server at Slicehost by
compiling it from source.  It works.

Now you probably know this already but I didn't: although ImageMagick
supports many formats, it handles only a few by itself.  For the
others you have to install external libraries.  For example to read
CR2 raw photo images, you need the ufraw library.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Does anybody have experience of installing these various delegate
libraries?  Is there a simpler way than compiling each one individually?

And once the delegate libraries are installed, am I right in thinking
that the way to get ImageMagick to use them is to re-install it from
scratch?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,
Andy Stewart