[LRUG] February Meeting - Details

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 03:44:02 PST 2008

Hi all,

The details of the February meeting are now up on the LRUG website:
http://lrug.org/meetings/2008/01/25/february-2008-meeting/

As usual, please register with Skills Matter if you are coming (
http://skillsmatter.com/lrug) and do so early so that they have plenty of
time to book a bigger room if necessary.

The short version of the agenda is that we have between 8 and 10 speakers
doing short lightning talks of 20 slides that last 20 seconds each,
resulting in talks of 6:40 in length.  So far we've got 7 speakers confirmed
(3 of them so far unsure about their topics):

* James Adam - topic tbc
* Richard Livesy - RSpec stories.
* Rob McKinnon - "A Ruby Journey"
* Daniel Tenner - Adobe Flex: what it is, why he uses it in ruby
* David Salgado - Rails deployment platforms
* Roland Swingler - Pattern matching in ruby (possible topic only)
* Laurie Young - Design patterns in ruby (possible topic only)

There's a couple of other folk who said they'd be interested that I'm still
waiting to hear back from, but as I've not heard from them yet the slots are
still open.  So if you are interested in talking, get in touch with me
directly, or on the mailing list and I'm sure we can slot you in.  I'll keep
updating the site and list as and when I know more.

The other exciting thing is that the organisers of QCon London (
http://qcon.infoq.com/london/conference/) have been in touch and given us
another free ticket to raffle off.  QCon is March 12-14 this year and has a
pretty interesting looking Ruby track (
http://qcon.infoq.com/london/tracks/show_track.jsp?trackOID=90), but many of
the other tracks seem interesting too (Agile practices, new languages, dsls
etc..., take a look for yourself: http://qcon.infoq.com/london/tracks/).  As
well as a free ticket, they've given us a £50 discount off the £1180 price
for the conference, so even if you don't win the raffle there's still a deal
to be had if you are interested.  The discount code is: user_group_50.

Anyway, we'll do the draw the same way we've done these things in the past:
everyone that turns up on the night will have their DNA collected and put
into a teleporter with a fly and the person whose DNA+Fly combination
creates the best monster will receive the ticket.  To avoid arguments and
unnecessary monster-based violence on the night, we will use a
non-subjective scoring system with the winning monster having the highest
scores on empirical scales of fang quantity, bloodlust, scaliness of flesh,
creepiness of eyes, spindliness of limbs, etc...

Cheers,

Muz