[LRUG] Exception notifier and bots

Daniel Tenner daniel.ruby at tenner.org
Thu Jul 31 04:03:04 PDT 2008

I doubt your error pages are going to rank very high in the search
engines!

If you know that certain URLs that bots are prone to poke are always
going to throw exceptions, tell the bots not to go there... Chances
are, they mark you down for having lots of error pages anyway, so by
removing those pages from what the bots index, you might well improve
your rankings...

I didn't suggest to tell the bots to stay away from your page, btw -
only from the spurious URLs which the bots hit all the time and which
generate errors each time. I'm assuming there's a pattern to them.

Daniel