[LRUG] Slight career shift

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:21:59 PDT 2008

2008/7/1 Kevin Fullerton <kevin.fullerton at shotgun-suicide.co.uk>:

> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > This is, I'll admit, partly a random job beg. However, it's also a
> request
> > for advice on how to go about getting in to a company doing a role that
> > you've not got a lot of formal experience of.
>
> The problem I have
> is that the level I've reached professionally and the experience I have
> with Ruby/Rails would mean a pretty hefty pay-drop as I'd basically have
> to go in at an entry level Ruby/Rails job, so for me while I dream of
> doing that, it's not something I can realistically do :(

If it was me I wouldn't be discounting your experience in the non-ruby/rails
world as irrelevant and throwing you in with the graduates on the pay
scale.  Yes it's likely that there'd be some sort of pay cut because your
technical skillset doesn't exactly match what we're recruiting for and we
might need to pay for training courses or whatever, but a willingness to
learn and bringing all the other experience with you counts for something.
And any potential employer who says it doesn't is not worth working for.

Muz