[LRUG] FW: Scalable, robust asset storage

Anthony Green Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 01:37:02 PDT 2008

Hi,

We're planning a shared asset storage thingy for the various application
environments and I'd like to pick your brains for ideas and experience.

Our requirements are:
  1) We can't lose data.
  2) It has to be accessible read/write by several hosts.
  3) If we end up doing several thousand uploads a second I'd like to be
able to scale horizontally to meet the requirement.
  4) I don't want to have to wait several years to view a file.

We've got a few things to look at:
  MogileFS http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/
  CouchDB http://rubyurl.com/I1eZ
  NFS (which we don't hugely want to use)
  BigTable http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html
  Some kind of SAN.

Has anyone used these? Are there any other requirements I should consider or
solutions I should look at?

Cheers,
Craig

------ End of Forwarded Message