[LRUG] RailsConf Europe

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Wed Jul 30 04:27:20 PDT 2008

On 30 Jul 2008, at 11:38, Jonathan Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 11:25 +0100, Matthew Westcott wrote:
>> I'd strongly recommend going for a proper sleeper cabin
>> rather than the couchettes (although I imagine couchettes may not be
>> so bad if there are enough people to book a full 4 or 6 person
>> compartment, rather than sharing with random strangers...)
>
> Re: couchettes - this concern was raised previously on the list, but
> I've gone for a 4 person one anyway. Perhaps they are different on the
> CNL trains, but when I went to Spain a month ago a (4 person)
> couchette
> was the only option, and whilst it was a little cosy, I didn't find it
> at all problematic. In both direction I ended up meeting interesting
> people in my carriage, going to the bar with them, then just coming
> back
> to sleep. I mean, how much space do you need for that?!
>
> On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd brave a 6 person one!

Romek and I took the train last year (and possibly will this year,
funds allowing) and the cabins are definitely worth the extra. We
missed the return leg and ended up in a 4-person couchette via Cologne
which was much less comfortable and gave me zero sleep.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net