[LRUG] Shebang

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Fri Jun 27 02:09:58 PDT 2008

Hola El Rugsters,

In an action in a Rails app, I submit jobs to bj[1] like this:

   Bj.submit "./script/runner 'Archive.find(#{@archive.id}).rebuild'"

The jobs start, but fail with this on stderr:

   /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory

My app's script/runner has this shebang line:

   #!/usr/bin/env ruby

However, env works on the command line:

   $ /usr/bin/env ruby -v                # ruby 1.8.6 etc
   $ /usr/bin/env ruby -e "puts 'foo'"   # foo

Any ideas how to get my jobs running correctly?  I suppose I could
work around the problem by changing the shebang line in script/runner
to point directly to my ruby installation, but I'd rather not touch
that Rails-generated file.

Thanks and regards,
Andy

[1] http://codeforpeople.rubyforge.org/svn/bj/trunk/README