[LRUG] [Off Topic] Learning Javascript

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 02:02:32 PDT 2008

I still think Jeremy Keith's "DOM Scripting" is a good introduction:

http://www.amazon.com/DOM-Scripting-Design-JavaScript-Document/dp/1590595335

if only because it assumes no knowledge and rather than diving into
libraries, it teaches you the basics of writing good, straight, JS.
Once you've read this, it might be worth diving into eg JQuery - but
not before.

Doug Crockford's "Javascript: The Good Parts"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=javascript+the+good+parts&x=0&y=0

is also superb, and is probably more useful on JS as a programming
language than on JS as a language for the web. But both books are
excellent.

>From there, you might have a better idea of where you'd like to take
things, once you're aware of what's possible.

t.