[LRUG] Yes, there will be a June meeting.

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 03:10:25 PDT 2008

Hopefully you all saw Wendy's email and El Rug's Tweet yesterday and so will
all be registered for the meeting already. If not, please do:
http://skillsmatter.com/event/ruby-on-rails/lrug-meeting-ruby-as-multimedia-glue-genomes-on-rails

An extra incentive to come along is that I've got a bunch of books to hand
out at this meeting.  They're the books that I organised as prizes for the
pub quiz we were going to have in January, when that didn't happen I left
them in my desk drawer and promptly forgot about them.  Having dig to the
back of my desk I figure that I might as well bring them along and hand them
out to this meeting, otherwise they'll be hopelessly out of date.

I have:

2x Practical Rails Social Networking Sites by Alan Bradburne published by
Apress:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Rails-Social-Networking-Experts/dp/1590598415/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212485903&sr=8-1
2x Practical Rails Projects by Eldon Alameda published by Apress:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Rails-Projects-Experts-Voice/dp/1590597818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212485940&sr=1-1
1x RailsSpace by Michael Hartl & Aurelius Prochazka published by Addison
Wesley:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railsspace-Building-Networking-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321480791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212485989&sr=1-1
1x RailsSpace Ruby on Rails Tutorial livelessions DVD by Aurelius Prochazka
published by Addison Wesley:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RailsSpace-Ruby-Rails-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321517067/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212485989&sr=1-3
1x Design Patterns In Ruby by Russ Olson published by Addison Wesley:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Patterns-Ruby-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321490452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212486044&sr=1-1
1x The Rails Way by Obie Fernandex (and others) published by Addison Wesley:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rails-Way-Enterprise-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321445619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212486067&sr=1-1

Not having read (or in the DVD's case, watched) these books I can't say how
up to date they are, not that it really matters for the design patterns one
- even with 1.9 and 1.8.7 ruby hasn't changed enough for this book to be
made obsolete.  The Rails Way has a badge saying it covers Rails 2.0, so
it's probably the most up to date.  The website for RailsSpace (
http://railsspace.com/) implies it covers rails 1.2.3, but there is a blog
post about compatibility with rails 2.0 (
http://blog.railsspace.com/past/2007/12/13/railsspace_now_rails_20_compatible/).
Practical Rails Social Networking Sites and Practical Rails Projects don't
really say, but going by publication date I'd expect them to be focussed on
rails 1.2.X.  That said, they both look like good project based tutorials
and really, rails 1.2.X and rails 2.X aren't *that* different (I'm sure
we've had these discussions on the list before), so these books, being aimed
at beginners and in a tutorial style are probably at least as good as
googling for blog posts that are also targetting earlier versions of rails.
Generally speaking the internet is positive about all these books, so I'm
sure they'd be useful to someone.

If you want one of these books, let me know (off list - I'm sure no-one else
cares) and I'll hand them out at the start of the June meeting.  As usual a
review would be nice once you've read it (*cough* previous book recipients,
where are my reviews? *cough*).

Obviously If more people than there are copies of a given book wants a copy
it'll be names out of a shoes app on the night.

Cheers,

Muz