[LRUG] UK salaries? Just curious...

Kenneth Lee kenfodder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:30:47 PST 2008

Hi Sam,

I can give you a rough breakdown, say £30k yearly wage, after income tax and
compulsory national insurance contributions. That's roughly £1800 per month
NET take home salary.

Say per month £600 rent (and twice that for an initial deposit), £700 on
utility bills, mobile phone, ADSL, groceries, council tax, eating out and
Oyster Card (travel). The big one is alcohol in London it's ridiculous a
couple of rounds in a club twice a week will set you back £50-£100, your
mileage varies. On top of that yearly stuff like TV licence, car tax, car
insurance, home insurance, car service/maintenance and divide that up
monthly that's £100-200 per month.

If you're good you can probably get about £500 of free cash a month. A new
piece of clothing and a couple of geeky books, any personal projects and
those all important gadgets there isn't much left and not to mention some
savings on the side or even a holiday once a year.

£25k is considered a sensible graduate wage in London for
Developers/Consultants, £22k is about minimum.

Hope this gives you an idea :)

Ken