[LRUG] London Web Week

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 09:50:55 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Patrick Griffiths has been in touch with me asking if LRUG would like to
host an event during London Web Week.  In his words LWW is:

a collection of events that will be taking place between the 26th May and
> 1st June this year.
>
> The line-up so far includes BarCamp, @media 2008, a WSG evening event, a
> microformats/semantics evening event, a conference for web design beginners,
> and several purely social events/parties.
>
> The idea is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, that each
> event within London Web Week will gain wider exposure, and hopefully web
> design and development (and best practices within them) will also gain wider
> exposure in themselves.

It sounded pretty good and couldn't hurt for us to be involved in some way,
so I got some more info about what kind of event he'd like us to organise:

the idea was for each event to be autonomous and to run as they
> would normally, so, in your case, the usual thing - something for the
> Ruby community rather than making a special effort to attract people to
> it (not that that couldn't be achieved too, of course).
>
> There will be lots of different events going on, so hopefully there will
> be things to appeal to people from lots of different backgrounds, but I
> think if we attempt to make all events all things to all people, it
> would probably be a mistake.

I would suggest Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evening. There are other
> events happening these evenings, but not ones that would have too much
> crossover (mostly being front-end development related).

So, first things to note are that this week doesn't fall into our 2nd Monday
of the month routine, in fact it's right slap in the middle of our usual
schedule.  So one of our normal meetings won't naturally fall during LWW, so
we'll have to think about an event to put on (if we want to).  The second
thing to note is that there's the potential for lots of folk to be away that
week as the Monday is a bank holiday and RailsConf USA & Caboose Conf start
on the Thursday.

Options obvious to me (and feel free to suggest others) are:

1. Move the May or June meetings into this week and run them as normal (if
slightly out of usual routine)
2. Hold a special one-off meeting similar to our normal meetings
3. Organise an LRUG Nights
4. Organise some kind of LRUG Nights / normal meeting crossover event - in a
pub, mostly agenda free, but we perhaps try to book space in a pub (maybe
even one with AV equipment) so that short presentations or demos can happen
if folk want.
5. Do the pub quiz that Tom has lying about.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Patrick is announcing LWW on Wednesday and he
thought it'd be quite nice if he could at least put "LRUG will do something
on Xday evening during LWW" in the announcement.  Option 3 seems like the
easiest to commit to, but it could easily be "upgraded" to one of the other
options as we see fit.

Muz