[LRUG] Rails freelancers

toby privett tobyprivett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:32:44 PST 2008

> Seems there are plenty of rails freelancers these days, but are there any
> rails NON-freelancers looking for a job? Perhaps everyone on this list has
> bags of experience, but I was hoping to hire a couple of entry-level
> developers and I've not had much success so far :-(

I'm a freelancer, currently working with Rails and I saw your original
post on 37 signals. I didn't apply because I've been contracting /
freelancing for ten years, so it's not really my kind of job.

There's certainly a lot of Rails opportunities out there. I get
regular calls from recruiters with roles to fill. Almost always
permanent jobs. And, given that most are London based, the salaries on
offer are more likely in the 30k+ range.

I agree that there must be entry level developers looking to gain
experience on the job. It seems to me that the Rails community is
driven, in part, by people crossing over from other skill sets, so
most of these are already fairly experienced.

I might be wrong, and it would certainly be nice to see people not
joining php / dot net shops straight out of college.

My 2 bits

Toby