[LRUG] Choosing good employees

Anthony Green email at acgreen.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 09:36:33 PST 2008

I had to chip in at this point. Hiring a journeyman programmer is the worst
thing you can do. I've started to see a lot of Rails Spaghetti code from
Software Engineers who just go where the work is and don't even bother
learning the framework. Urgh.

Chris I think the job add is fine, as the kind of developer you describe in
the ad I would certainly be applying if I wasn't extremely happy in my
current role.

Unfortunately the pool of passionate Rails developers is still relatively
small.

Have you tried NWRUG in the hope of enticing someone south ?

But I think best way to get good staff is to continually developing some
wonderous rails/ruby code which you blog about.

Example - I know when Reevoo are hiring because I've subscribed to the news
feeds from their developers blogs.

Tony