[LRUG] pop3 imap gmail

Daniel Tenner daniel.ruby at tenner.org
Mon Mar 10 10:30:34 PDT 2008

There's a limit to 500 different recipients per domain per day... if
you're running anything that might need to send a lot of emails all
over the place, that can be a big problem for obvious reasons.

Also, you can only send emails as the addresses registered against
your mail account. So for instance if you have no-reply at mydomain.com
and support at mydomain.com, etc, you need to have all those registered
on GAFYD. If you decide you want to have
<somedynamicfield>@mydomain.com, you can't.

Finally, as i understand it, mail servers have a reputation thing
going on... Even if you're sending lots of non-spam email through your
server, it'll take a while to build the reputation of your mail
server. Since you'll have to move to that at some point anyway, might
as well get started as early as possible.

Hence, for commercial sites, I'd avoid using google mail's SMTP
(though I still use GAFYD as the mail receiver).

Hope this helps,

Daniel