[LRUG] UK salaries? Just curious...

Sam Livingston-Gray geeksam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:52:27 PST 2008

Hello, all-

I joined this list before visiting London last June, and have been
lurking since.  There have been a few job posts in that time, and as
an American, I have no frame of reference for the salary figures.

Not that I'm about to immigrate to the UK anytime soon*, but I'm
curious... 25-30k/yr seems reasonable when converted to US dollars,
until factoring in the cost of housing in London.  Salaries in
[approximately] equivalently-priced US housing markets (e.g., New
York, San Francisco) tend to be higher.  I realize it's not really an
equivalent comparison given the differences in health care and
infrastructure -- so what does that income level translate to in terms
of standard of living?

(For comparison purposes, $50-60k/yr in Portland, Oregon is quite
sufficient for a house payment, car payment, plenty of dining out, a
new gadget every once in a while, et cetera.)

By the way, should any of you be planning to attend RailsConf here in
May, drop me a line; I love acting the tour guide.  (=

-Sam

* (Ask me again after our next presidential election -- I'm not sure I
want to tolerate another neocon administration!)