[LRUG] Rails developer for startup

James Adam james.adam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 03:45:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Anthony Green <email at acgreen.co.uk> wrote:
> Whatever.
>  I'm sure there was a discussion last year on whether to allow job postings.
>  If I remember correctly the position would be under continual review. Whilst
>  I think that postings from actually ruby programmers and companies using
>  ruby are fine, recruitment agencies are less desirable and First Tuesday
>  type posts are not.

I find it quite encouraging that our little group has become a place
that "outsiders" look to for talented progg'rs. Limiting access to
this group to only posts from actual ruby programmers or companies
(already) using ruby seems like it might be a tad harsh. A couple of
years ago, LRUG was accused of being a stealth group
(http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/86060), and that's not something I'm
pitching to actually move towards :)

If the post is a genuine request to engage Ruby developers in direct
discussions with a potential employer, rather than a middle man, I
don't see that it hurts to allow them. We can self-police the quality
of posts on this list without needing to adopt a militant policy.

Personally, the kind of job posting that I strongly object to are
those that have the pertinent details stripped out, so you can't tell
who the company is, where they are, and are merely presented with a
set of generic "skills" keywords to play the limpest game of "CV
bingo" against.

So - my advice to would-be employers who want to post here is simply:
point out why you're interested specifically in a Ruby developer; be
realistic about what the role you're offering actually entails; and
save vagueries, jargon and hyperbole for the job boards ("£££++ for
RoR MegaRockstars!" - bleurgh).  We're (mostly) nice people - if you
make an effort to sound like a genuine, interesting person, you've a
reasonable chance of sparking up a conversation with someone who can
help in some way. Better yet, come to the next LRUG meeting (or at
least the pub bit) and get talking to people.

With specific regards to Polly's email, I'm curious why she's
specifically looking at Rails, and perhaps she wouldn't mind
elaborating a bit about that, but I see no problem with her post to
the list in general.

--
* J *
 ~