[LRUG] Learning Rails

Pat Allan pat at freelancing-gods.com
Thu May 8 05:55:13 PDT 2008

On 08/05/2008, at 10:47 PM, Tom Armitage wrote:

> I'd hesitate against this. I've seen more and more Rails apps that
> flagrantly ignore Prototype for their JS work.
>
> Personally, I can't bear Prototype, and I can't bear the way Rails'
> built-in javascript helpers work - they're pretty unpleasant. There's
> nothing stopping you using whatever libraries you're most comfortable
> with; most of the "magic" around AJAX isn't particularly complex and
> easily thrown together on your own. I've used nothing but jQuery with
> Rails for the past year or so and been very pleased with the results.
>
> So my tip: don't be sidetracked by the focus on Prototype in some of
> the Rails guides, it's not in any way integral.

Echoing this: I don't have any issue with Prototype, and have used it
quite a bit. I have never used the rails javascript helpers though,
because I have an aversion to inline javascript. Started using jQuery
for a project recently, and love it - feels much cleaner and simpler.

Each to their own, of course.

--
Pat