[LRUG] Learning Rails

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Thu May 8 05:47:38 PDT 2008

2008/5/8 Ed Davey <ed at veryreal.co.uk>:
> Prototype
>  ---------
>  Just about *on topic* I think on account of the Ruby-ish extensions which
> it brings to Javascript -- if you're not already using Prototype for your
> Javascript then you will be seeing it in Rails apps.

I'd hesitate against this. I've seen more and more Rails apps that
flagrantly ignore Prototype for their JS work.

Personally, I can't bear Prototype, and I can't bear the way Rails'
built-in javascript helpers work - they're pretty unpleasant. There's
nothing stopping you using whatever libraries you're most comfortable
with; most of the "magic" around AJAX isn't particularly complex and
easily thrown together on your own. I've used nothing but jQuery with
Rails for the past year or so and been very pleased with the results.

So my tip: don't be sidetracked by the focus on Prototype in some of
the Rails guides, it's not in any way integral.