[LRUG] [Off Topic] Extracting a user id from a Mambo session

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu May 15 08:08:06 PDT 2008

Additionally, uselessly:

On 15 May 2008, at 15:32, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> My webapp will be hosted on a subdomain of the domain where the
> Mambo site lives.

So you'll be in trouble unless the cookie's domain is explicitly set
to permit access by all subdomains, i.e. ".ourdomain.com", because
otherwise the browser won't trust your subdomain to read it. Hopefully
Mambo will already be doing this but it's another thing to not take
for granted.

> However since I've never touched Mambo or PHP before, I don't know
> where to start looking for information on steps 1 and 2 above.

First step would be to crack open the cookies viewer in your browser
and eyeball it for cookies from Mambo -- maybe you'll get lucky and
find one that a) is accessible to all subdomains and b) contains the
user ID in plaintext.

Cheers,
-Tom