[LRUG] ActiveMQ advice?

Paul Battley pbattley at gmail.com
Fri May 30 01:52:58 PDT 2008

2008/5/30 David Salgado <david at digitalronin.com>:
> Has anyone else used ActiveMQ, Starling/Workling or other message
> queues, and have any war stories to share?

At Reevoo, we fought with ActiveMQ for a long time before cutting our
losses and switching to beanstalkd[1].

It might just be due the high volume of messages we were generating,
but ActiveMQ was horribly unreliable, and I couldn't recommend it.
beanstalkd, on the other hand, is doing a champion job.

Ironically, ActiveMQ's persistent messaging lost us far more messages
than beanstalkd ever has. beanstalkd may not be persistent, but it
does actually work, and that counts for a lot.

Paul.

1.http://xph.us/software/beanstalkd/