[LRUG] Anti-spam measures

James Darling james at abscond.org
Wed Nov 26 06:43:47 PST 2008

> The spammers have found the comment forms on my app, it looks like
> I'll need to implement some anti-spam measures.
>
> Any suggestions ? Askimet, Captchas, switch my comments over to
> Disqus? Googling around for this turns up a lot of old plugins, what's
> the current accepted "solution" ?

I haven't done this in a little while, but I usually use one of two
things.
The first is Akismet, which I've had good experience with.
The second, if you are not going to be personally targeted by
spammers, is to make a simple prove-you-are-human form like "type cat
in this box", which is then auto filled out and hidden by javascript.
Invisible to JS-enabled users, a mild inconvenience (much better than
captchas) to non JS users, and stops generic form submitters.

James