[LRUG] Ruby random cool word generator

Paul Golds paul.golds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 05:42:41 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Abhishek Parolkar
<abhishek.parolkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Dan Webb <dan at danwebb.net> wrote:
>>
>> I think maybe another site for the word source might be better :)
>
> Ya I guess, Best would be scrapping from
> http://www.babynames.com/Names/Alpha/index.php?let=A&g=&o=45

If you're just after real names then the lists at
http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html should be fine.

I've built (non-Ruby)  random name generators using these in past and
they're great, all of the names comes with a frequency indicator
meaing you can use these as ranges for your randomisation and tweak it
to produce names which are less mundane than you'd expect using them
at the listed frequency but more likely than you'd get just picking a
firstname and surname with no bias.  Tends to be okay at producing
'interesting but not silly' names.

Paul Golds