[LRUG] State machine or workflow engine ?

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Tue Aug 4 17:10:59 PDT 2009

On 4 Aug 2009, at 12:25, Anthony Green wrote:
> Do you externalize your business processes?
> Do you use a state machine or workflow engine?
>
> Article of possible interest:
>
> http://www.opensourcery.co.za/2009/07/06/driving-business-processes-in-ruby

Ruote looks interesting. Its DSL is reminiscent of Hoare's CSP
calculus, which is best known as the inspiration for Occam. Ruby would
be a better language if it had this kind of concurrency (or even
better, pi-calculus) baked into the core - then there wouldn't be so
much Erlang envy ;)

For some thought-provoking reading I recommend Norbert Wiener's
classic "Cybernetics" and more generally anything to do with systems
theory. As a very crude generalisation the field's concerned with how
black boxes are tied together by information flows and feedback loops
making it applicable to automation of all kinds. The black boxes can
be thought of as state machines which makes it handy for marrying the
two models together.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains