[LRUG] git question

Chris Mear chris at feedmechocolate.com
Thu Aug 20 04:43:32 PDT 2009

2009/8/20 Taryn East <teast at globalpersonals.co.uk>

> I definitely pulled from the real rails.. I know that mainly because nobody
> else is making changes on my fork.. and the git pull that I did pulled in
> heaps of changes every few days ;)
> I have the fetch/merge from upstream aliased as "git up" (told you I was an
> svn girl ;))
>
> That said - thanks for the description - I guess I'm still wrapping my head
> around the new multitude of repositories...
>
> So I'm pretty sure that my local working copy had all the changes from the
> real rails fork...
> I'm just not sure if I rebased often enough... or made the patches the
> right way.

Well, strictly speaking you can get away with only rebasing once -- the very
moment before you create your patch, just to let you fix any conflicts so
that it'll apply cleanly.

If you have a long-lived topic branch, however, it's just easier to rebase
every now and again while you're working on it, just so you don't get too
out of touch with what's happening upstream, and so you can avoid big hairy
conflicts when you do your final rebase. But you don't have to work this
way, it's just a matter of ease and style.

Chris