[LRUG] has_many :bugs, :through => :rails

Abhishek Parolkar abhishek.parolkar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 22:32:51 PDT 2009

Hmmm, My favorite among those , is the argument on
Object#freeze<http://m.onkey.org/2009/8/5/ruby-i-don-t-like-3-object-freeze>,
I used to freeze heavily at times when I wanted to protect
some configuration parameters
<http://github.com/parolkar/has_profile_items/blob/e5f1e054ef4f46220a905fa368816eee87f925b4/lib/has_profile_items.rb#L31>from
being manipulated at later stage in execution. I agree that ruby's freeze
has drawback and doesnot really protect change to the variable, But I do not
agree with his concluding sentence , " if you design your software for
idiots, only idiots will use it." , Even experts do make mistakes, and
things like Object#freeze  guide all of us , to not make accidental mistakes
by manipulating few values which should not be manipulated for better
execution of control flow.

If I  am asked , I would say Object#freeze needs to stay and improved for
"real freezing behavior" , and not thown out just because it doesnt do its
freezing job well yet.

I am curious if somebody have any suggestion to over come limitation of
Object#freeze

-Abhishek
http://github.com/parolkar