[LRUG] git question

Taryn East teast at globalpersonals.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 03:59:05 PDT 2009

2009/8/20 Chris Mear <chrismear at gmail.com>

> Sounds like what you've missed is git-rebase. This command replays the
> commits from a given branch back on top of the latest head of (usually) your
> master branch.

Then you can create a patch based on the diff master..hyperactionpack and it
> will apply cleanly.
>
> While you're doing the rebase, if it tries to replay a commit that doesn't
> apply cleanly to the latest master, you'll get a chance to fix it, just as
> if you were doing a regular merge.
>
> As an aside, the whole 'pull request' thing is a GitHub-specific thing; the
> Rails team in particular has said that they want patches, not pull requests
> via GitHub, so this approach is probably the best way.

Hi Chris,

This is what I did on my fork, and it still didn't seem to help :(

Perhaps I used it the wrong way?

Every couple of days I did a git pull and rebase.

Now the patches I created weren't an "everything from when I branched until
the present day"... because I had several chunks of functionality to send in
- and wanted four separate patches...

but the very first of these wouldn't apply as the code of the underlying
file (ActiveResource::Validations)  had changed, so the patch was saying
that it referred to line 8 - and line 8 no longer matched where the changes
had been made.

Taryn