[LRUG] Jabbersonic: soundscapes for monitoring complex systems

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 04:09:14 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Some of you might be interested in this: I've been experimenting with
the idea of monitoring a complex system such as a project task flow or
a site's uptime using a sonification to produce a natural soundscape.
Imagine thunderclaps for live exceptions, crickets for new feature
branches, gentle rain for a building system, a rainstorm for a failed
build, that sort of thing.

Enter Jabbersonic[1], a little ruby app to allow the control of an
arbitrary soundscape. It should work out of the box on a Mac with iLife.

I knocked it together in about 4 hours using Jabber::Simple and Gosu
for sound: be gentle :)

See what you think. We've not tried it in anger yet... Is the idea
crazy? Has anyone else experimented with something similar?

If there's wifi in the crypt at tonight's LRUG, I'll fire up the old
laptop and demo it tonight to anyone who's interested.

Chris

[1] http://bit.ly/zVwiD

--
Chris Parsons