[LRUG] The Analogue Blog: roundup

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:20:00 PDT 2009

Hi all,
We tried out "The Analogue Blog" last night, and I thought I'd do a quick
roundup of what was mentioned.

* RubyFoo - A 2-day ruby conference in London, Oct 2-3:
http://rubyfoolondon.com/ruby-london-2009/.  Day 1 is a standard conference
day with talks (including Matz!), Day 2 is the lounge, which is more of a
hack-day / tutorial kinda thing.  Tickets are on sale now and you can get
£25 off if you book through Skills Matter:
http://skillsmatter.com/event/ajax-ria/ruby-foo-2009

* Parental Control - I wrote a rails plugin that provides Bi-Directional
associations for certain active-record associations.  I've also ported it
across to rails and it should be released as part of Rails 3.  However, it
needs a lot more testing and poking at, so if anyone thinks they might need
this sort of thing, could they take a look:
http://github.com/h-lame/parental_control.

* Rails Camp 2 - Tom Crinson reminded everyone that he's runing Rails Camp
UK 2 from Oct 16th - 19th.  The plan is get a bunch of rails developers
together in one place for a long weekend and hack on stuff together (and
play Guitar Hero).  Tickets are between £40 and £50 covering food and
accommodation.  Find out more and buy your ticket here:
http://railscamps.org/#uk_october_2009

* Jabbersonic - Chris Parsons gave a demo of an app he'd knocked up to let
you control a sound playing tool via jabber.  His example was that you could
add to an ambient background noise depending on the state of your build or
live app.  You can check out the code here:
http://github.com/ChrisMDP/jabbersonic/ and read more about Chris's journey
to it here:
http://blog.edendevelopment.co.uk/2009/08/12/introducing-jabbersonic/

* Monk - Roland Swingler mentioned a library called Monk that provides
scaffolding / template applicaitons / skeletons (call 'em what you will) for
sinatra-based web apps.  Find out more here: http://monkrb.com/

* Songkick - Matt Wynne from Songkick mentioned that they are hiring.  If
you're looking for a job, get in touch with them:
http://www.songkick.com/info/jobs (or maybe Matt directly, I'm sure you can
find his email address if you search the mail archives).

* Moo Tools - John (Henderson?) mentioned that his team have been suing Moo
Tools in preference to jQuery or Prototype and he's really happy with it,
but he's surprised that he doesn't hear much stuff about other rails teams
using it.  MooTools lives here: http://mootools.net/ and more about MooTools
+ Rails can be found via google:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mootools+rails

* Young Rewired State - James Darling mentioned that on the 22-23rd August
he's running Young ReWired State.  It's a hack-day for 15-18 year olds and
James still has a few places open for ruby hackers that might want to act as
mentors for the young-un's.  More here: http://rewiredstate.org/young

Those are my notes, if I've got anything wrong hopefully the people that
spoke can chip in and correct my mistakes.

Cheers,

Muz