[LRUG] Profiling tools on OS X

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:18:35 PDT 2009

After Taryn's talk I had a quick look this morning at OS X profiling tools.
 The OS X developer tools come with a profiling tool called Shark which
looks remarkably similar to kcachegrind, but it doesn't read callgrind files
:(  Although you can run it against your ruby processes, it only understands
C so the results aren't particularly useful.  It does however read .mshark
files, which if someone was so inclined it might be a fun project to add
that output format to ruby-prof.  (I know nothing about .mshark files - this
might be impossible).
The next thing would be to try Mac Call Grind :
http://www.maccallgrind.com/I googled this, but didn't install.  It
might be a bit limited, but could be
more useful than trying to install the whole of KDE.  Also, there's work
going on to properly support os x in valgrind:
http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2009/05/28/mac-os-x-now-supported-on-the-valgrind-trunk/(again,
I google, but didn't install).

Anyone else got any tips?

Muz