[LRUG] git question

Taryn East teast at globalpersonals.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 04:20:02 PDT 2009

2009/8/20 Tom Stuart <tom at experthuman.com>

> On 20 Aug 2009, at 11:59, Taryn East wrote:
>
>> Every couple of days I did a git pull and rebase.
>> I had several chunks of functionality to send in - and wanted four
>> separate patches but the very first of these wouldn't apply as the code of
>> the underlying file (ActiveResource::Validations)  had changed, so the patch
>> was saying that it referred to line 8 - and line 8 no longer matched where
>> the changes had been made.
>>

> This is sort of a contradiction in terms if the rebase succeeded. Your
> commits are by definition a set of changes on top of the remote master
> (assuming you're up-to-date with it) so your patches should always apply.
> How are you actually creating the patches?

Ok, so now I'm guessing that part of the issue is that I did:
commit, commit,commit,commit... rebase...
then created *several* patches - the first of which only used the first
commit... ie didn't include the rebase.

Does that make sense?

So in future, I should make sure I create my patches as I go along and
rebase just before I create each individual patch?

Taryn