[LRUG] git question

Taryn East teast at globalpersonals.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 04:31:42 PDT 2009

2009/8/20 Tom Stuart <tom at experthuman.com>

> On 20 Aug 2009, at 11:45, Taryn East wrote:
>
>> I'm having a newbie moment so I was hoping for a bit of help from the
>> git-gurus out there.
>> So, what I'm trying to do is to create patches for rails core.
>>

> I'm by no means a git-guru, but I can tell you my own workflow for this
> kind of thing:
>
> I make a local branch, do my work there, and regularly rebase it on top of
> upstream commits. As I'm sure you know, this means that git rewinds all of
> your changes, fast-forwards to accommodate the upstream changes, and then
> replays your work.
>
> If nothing else this forces you to constantly be rethinking what your
> changes mean in terms of what's happening upstream, and avoids the situation
> where you end up with one giant horrendous merge right at the end.
>
> On the other hand, it does mean that you're constantly "abandoning" your
> old commits and replacing them with freshly rebased ones, which is fine when
> you're working locally but can be a world of pain if you're actually
> publishing those commits anywhere (e.g. on your fork) and others are
> expecting them to remain relevant.

Yep - and this is what I eventually did - ie a local branch of the remote
master of rails/rails...
but I had hoped I could store things in the remote fork because that way I
could work at home, at work, or anywhere else and have access to my latest
(uploaded) commits...  without having to wait until they were accepted into
rails/rails

No problem if that's the only way to do it, I guess I hoped to figure out if
there is any way.

Taryn