[LRUG] git question

Chris Mear chrismear at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 05:04:37 PDT 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 12:38, Taryn East wrote:

> I do/did... but you can't use gitk to make patches... which would
> have made sense to me. In my mind I could "cherry pick" the commits
> I wanted in the patch and that would be nice... but it doesn't work
> that way :P
>
> In the end I basically hand-copied the SHA1 ids of the commits I'd
> made (because there was all the cruft in there from rails/rails...
> pages and pages of it that had been done in the meantime) and then
> used those to feed into git-log -p for the patch.

Ah. Were you working directly on the master branch, and then doing git
pull to get up-to-date?

In other words, does gitk look like this:

http://feedmechocolate.com/stuff/mergingmaster.png

?

If so, git pull would be doing merges for you, which isn't what you
want -- it ends up with the interleaved scenario you seem to be
describing.

Chris