[LRUG] The Future of Ruby ?

Anthony Green Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 08:47:41 PST 2009

The single most debated topic at the Rails Exchange Park Bench session was
concerning the future of Ruby and by extension Rails.

I posed the question because of the I'd heard that for Rails 3.0 it was
recommended to upgrade to Ruby 1.9.2. I wondered if this was a hint that
deprecation warnings were planned for future 3.x releases.

Since David A Black presented a series of talks last year on the theme Ruby
Past present and future and as a pre-Rails Rubyist I wondered what his
thoughts were around:
Whether the Ruby roadmap would have looked different if Rails hadn't come
along.
What extent Rails has changed the game in terms of adoption plans.

What does LRUG think ?

Tony

PS Other thoughts:
What should we be on the look out for ?
Could Ruby face a vapourware future like Perl 6 ?
What do we think about the attempts at Ruby alternatives like Groovy and
Duby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/