[LRUG] DSLs for newbies: HTML generation (discuss)

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Thu Dec 10 08:41:58 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Mark Blackman <mark at blackmans.org> wrote:
> On 10/12/2009 13:49, Daniel Barlow wrote:
>
>> All criticism welcome. I'm a Lisp programmer in my day job, so I've
>> almost certainly heard worse.
>
> I'm dumbfounded that anyone is paid to write Lisp these days. I can't
> imagine any commercial imperative that demands Lisp, but I'm sure it's
> just a lack of imagination on my part.

The canonical example of Big Lisp used to be one of the big
international flight booking systems, but I'm afraid I've mislaid any
URLs I may once have had. They were doing some seriously cunning stuff
to keep the searches fast, including some radical reworking of garbage
collection and cons cell creation.