[LRUG] How to fund an open-source project?

stephen.boisvert at gmail.com stephen.boisvert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:07:25 PST 2009

You could gage the amount of community support for your goal by trying
out a crowd sourced funding model.

Using kickstarter ( http://www.kickstarter.com/ ) you can set what you
think is the required amount of support to even considering starting
and people are only billed for their contribution if you reach the
total amount.   You will also have to hustle and do the marketing to
get donations.  They seem more arty than techie though so your project
may be outside of what they are interested in.

I'm pretty sure Pat Allan (thinking_sphinx) just got himself a month
worth of support to focus on thinking_sphinx.  You could ask him.