[LRUG] Setting up Ruby + Gems + Rails on OS X

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 03:25:15 PST 2009

I have found JRuby the easier to install and does not have cross platform
annoyances that Ruby C-bases has. I am using macports on my mac, but after
having ruby 1.9 I tried to install rails gem and it install ruby 1.8 again,
I think. Well macports is not really perfect. I didnot know about RVM and I
think it can be used with macports (with ruby 1.8), so we can install and
use ruby 1.9 if needed.

I am still new to Ruby so I am bit confused about the several choices.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Pat Allan <pat at freelancing-gods.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2009, at 9:59 PM, Paul Campbell wrote:
>
>  Like Paul, I use the inbuilt Ruby, but I changed the gem location to be
>>>>

>>> I'm pretty sure that if you don't have write access to the system gem
>>> path a gem install will use ~/.gem by default.  I don't know when this
>>> changed in rubygems but I know it used to complain and now it silently
>>> puts things in ~/.gem whenever I forget to sudo.
>>>

>> Yeah, I try not to use sudo most of the time. My ~/.bash_profile just has
>> this:
>>
>> PATH=$PATH:/Users/paul/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin
>>

> It does indeed do it by default - I found it still complained until I told
> it to just use ~/.gem and nowhere else.
>
> --
> Pat

Riccardo Tacconi