[LRUG] HAML

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu Dec 10 15:12:40 PST 2009

On 10 Dec 2009, at 16:02, James Darling wrote:
> * Not everyone knows it: True, but I've usually found it takes max 48 hours to prefer HAML to HTML. Unfortunately, stubbornness of the people around you won't be fixed by HAML.

I use Sass but not Haml, partly because I'm not interested in spending any time at all dealing with edge cases, but partly because Sass has no lock-in -- it's just a convenient way of generating the language that everyone else speaks (CSS), so if you ever need to fall back to just using CSS for some reason and throw away the Sass that generated it then that's easy (if unfortunate). Choosing Haml for all your views, however, is a pretty big commitment because there's no good way of turning Haml into ERB and therefore no automatic route back to "standard" templates.

Cheers,
-Tom