[LRUG] How to fund an open-source project?

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Sat Dec 19 18:15:07 PST 2009

On 18 Dec 2009, at 00:33, Makoto Inoue wrote:
> Hi, Eleanor.
>
> Have you looked into any UK government funding(eg:NESTA www.nesta.org.uk)?
>
> YARV was actually funded by Japanese government body called
> IPA(http://www.ipa.go.jp/index-e.html) for one year. Unfortunately,
> IPA is only limited to Japanese or foreigners who live in Japan. There
> might be something similar in UK,too

I've been involved with NESTA funded projects in the past and the criteria for investment normally require a strong commercial aspect which I'm not sure is present in RubyGoLightly. I'll have to put my thinking cap on over Christmas and see if I can come up with a plausible business model.

> Thank you for your talk at Ruby Manor by the way. It was very
> inspiring and now I am interested in Google Go.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was all a bit rushed which is why I'm taking my time over putting the slides online - I was basically writing the code sample on the train into town that morning and for once I've decided I should properly annotate it so readers can make proper sense of it.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net