[LRUG] LRUG in the future

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 02:37:44 PST 2009

Hi all,

Important news about future LRUG meetings:

A New Venue
Skills Matter have moved offices to The Skills Matter eXchange on
Goswell Road (http://skillsmatter.com/location-details/design-architecture/484/96).
 This new venue has plenty of space to host our meetings so we'll be
moving to there in the new year.  It's about a 10 minute walk from
their old office and the closest tube is now Barbican.

A New Pub
The most important thing about this new venue is that we'll need to
find a new post-meeting pub as The Crown won't be particularly close
anymore.  Skills Matter have suggested we use The Slaughtered Lamb
(http://www.theslaughteredlambpub.com/).  However, as it hosts
Electro-Acoustic club most Wednesdays I'm not sure it'll be the best
fit for an injection of rubyists at 8pm.  To this end, I'm proposing
an extra-special LRUG Nights to scout out the area and find a good
pub.  We'd need to do this on an Wednesday so I was thinking of either
the 16th December or the 6th January.  Anyone interested in helping
out?

January
We'll have the first LRUG meeting at the new venue, and our first
meeting of 2010, on Wednesday 13th January.  Who wants to be part of
this momentous occasion?  It'd be nice to get the lineup/agenda for
this sorted in the next couple of weeks so we can all enjoy
Winterval/Festivus/Solstice/Muzmas safe in the knowledge that there's
an LRUG slow-roasting in the oven ready for us to feast on in January.

February
For the last 2 years we've run the February meeting as a lightning
talks evening, and if we do it a 3rd time that'll make it a tradition
and thus WRITTEN IN STONE for all ETERNITY that February is LRUG
lightning talk month.  The meeting will be on the 10th of February and
we'll need about 8 speakers.  If you are thinking about it, note that
we use the "20 slides on screen for 20 seconds each" format for this
meeting.

As usual, if you want to talk at any meeting just let me know (via the
list or directly) and I'll sort it out.  You may want to check out
http://lrug.org/speaking and http://lrug.org/speaking/tips for advice
too.

Cheers,

Muz