[LRUG] Setting up Ruby + Gems + Rails on OS X

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 02:52:15 PST 2009

2009/12/9 Pat Allan <pat at freelancing-gods.com>:
> RVM is on my list of things to try, but now that I've switched to fish for
> my shell, that may be difficult.

I'm sure they'd appreciate patches to support other shells though :)

> Like Paul, I use the inbuilt Ruby, but I changed the gem location to be
> local. For bash, this can be done as follows:
> http://gist.github.com/217895

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have write access to the system gem
path a gem install will use ~/.gem by default.  I don't know when this
changed in rubygems but I know it used to complain and now it silently
puts things in ~/.gem whenever I forget to sudo.

Muz