[LRUG] HAML

Andrew McDonough andrew at andrewmcdonough.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 07:45:30 PST 2009

As a recent Haml convert, I think most of the criticisms of Haml miss
the point.  The main gain isn't the fact that it saves you typing,
it's that it makes your views much cleaner and more readable.  I
actually think it leads to more semantic code as it forces you to
think of the structure of the page, not how you want it to look.  It's
also less likely that you're going to break the X bit of XHTML, as all
tags are closed implicitly.

The other thing that's worth noting is that you don't have to choose
between Haml and erb, you can quite easily use both in a single
project.  Why not try converting one of your views into Haml and see
if you find it more readable?  You can learn enough Haml to do this in
about 10 minutes, and it's really worth trying it out, even if you
decide it's not for you.

Andrew
---
Andrew McDonough