[LRUG] RailsConf anyone?

David A. Black dblack at rubypal.com
Tue Feb 3 17:42:12 PST 2009

Hi --

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Dan Webb wrote:

> I've got a multi stop ticket with san fransisco and that was 420.  I
> saw direct to vegas for 330 the other day but I think its more like
> 360 now.  Hotel rates are $129 for the hilton but you could stay at
> the sahari which is well close and has rooms for $50-60 a lot of the
> time.  It's got a NASCAR bar as well.  AMAZING.
>
> I find it very worth going to conferences as a freelancer.  I've
> gotten a lot of good projects as a result of going to conferences.  I
> think it's good to just meet and chat to people every year then your
> name will be the first that comes to mind when a relevant project
> comes up.  As Its  all about meeting people the idea of going to
> cabooseconf is looking good.  All the people in the one place but a
> nice lo-fi unconference to go to instead of a big o'rielly job.

Everyone should of course go to the event(s) that they find most
interesting, but I just wanted to remind everyone that the content of
RailsConf, including presentations, keynotes, and tutorials, is
selected and programmed 100% by Ruby Central. O'Reilly stages the
show, and we provide the content. It's worked out well, since it
enables us to provide a much bigger event than we otherwise could.

> Las Vegas is very entertaining as well.  If you haven't been before
> it's worth going just for that.

Absolutely. The Hilton is slightly remote from the Strip, but I'd
definitely recommend getting over there and seeing the sights.

What are the details of the CabooseConf plan?

David