[LRUG] Building a CMS from scratch...

Sebastian Komianos sebkom at grubies.gr
Thu Feb 12 09:47:13 PST 2009

As some of you already know I am a newbie with ruby. I only know the
basics and have no experience with rails at all.

I have an idea for a project to work from June and on and I would love the
community to be up sometime after the summer. The idea is a resource center
for current or prospective greek university students, which means I need a
wiki (full of information about universities, their departments, etc), a
forum and a blog (which will be used just for the first page, for news,
articles, etc). (To get a better idea of what I want to achieve, a look at
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk will definitely help. Think about a greek
version of it).

Now, I can simply go for Wordpress+MediaWiki+vBulletin/SMF and that would
make perfect sense. However, I 'd love to challenge my self and try to
create a CMS with all these bundled in (or at least, a CMS just to replace
WP). I am not going to ask how easy this is, I don't want something easy.
My two questions are: a) Is it achievable,
having in mind I am a begginer?
b) Is it worth to try or do you reckon that I should spend my time
differently? As I see it, it's a good way to learn programming in ruby but
I might be totally wrong.

Last but not least, is rails the only way to take ruby to the web? (No
actuall reason for asking, just curious)

Thanks,

Sebastian
http://www.sebkom.me/ [1]
http://blog.sebkom.me/ [2]