[LRUG] Ruby Contracting

Anthony Green email at acgreen.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 22:26:49 PST 2009

On 16/02/2009 15:36, "Vahagn Hayrapetyan" <vahagnh at gmail.com> wrote:

> My impression is that the agencies advertising at CWjobs are currently
> looking for folks for 2+ years' experience in Rails. Too bad if one is a
> fresh-faced software idealist, young and full of dreams, who has only joined
> the Rails bandwagon about a year ago or so.

Part of the problem is the bandwagon jumping. I find that Ruby has a strong
set of ascetic values, partly innate, partly driven by central figures in
the community. This isn't always embraced, let alone understood by the
MyLinkedSpaceBookersGoldRushLetsDoItInRails wave of immigration. I've seen
CVs headed PHP/Ruby on Rails developer almost as if they were synonymous.

> It's funny because I think most of the recruiters themselves don't have clue
> about how long it takes for someone who was previously pro to become
> reasonably fluent in a new framework.

You had me at 'don't have clue'.

Tony