[LRUG] Netbooks and Rails development

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Tue Feb 17 01:56:47 PST 2009

If you want small and light, then the Panasonic Let's Note CF-R4 is
fantastic. I really love mine for travelling, and it's powerful enough that
I use it as my everyday laptop when I'm working on-site at a client's
office.

Weighs less than 1kg, hours of battery life (manufacturer's specs said 5 or
6 hours, which I doubt. I'm never away from a power outlet for that long,
but certainly very good, mainly because there's no fan in it). 60GB HDD,
runs Ubuntu just fine and it's powerful enough to handle Rails development
with no problems.

The downsides are a) it's more expensive than a netbook, so if you want
something where it wouldn't be a complete disaster if it got nicked, then
it's not so good. b) They're difficult to get hold of outside Japan.

Cheers

David