[LRUG] TDD (was: Ruby Contracting)

Romek romeks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:01:30 PST 2009

I write code. I write code that needs testing (not tests). Usually it
doesn't need testing as it attempts to be clear and concise which Ruby
is good at (I like code that fits on one sheet of paper).

Why should I write tests that need code? Seems absurd to me. I have
and still don't get this TDD and am glad that I have nothing to do
with it.

To me writing tests for code is like having a chicken and trying to
design an egg that fits. To me this is just constricting the code to
do exactly what the tests require. This is very good for formal
specifications when everything is correct and doesn't change. I prefer
designing the egg to fit the chicken when you can have all the glory
of discovering what strange breeds you can evolve from letting the egg
just hatch.

Romek