[LRUG] Building a CMS from scratch...

Simon Tokumine Simon.Tokumine at unep-wcmc.org
Thu Feb 12 15:51:42 PST 2009

Hi Sebastian,
Building a good CMS as feature rich as the software you mention is
deceptively difficult. It's may also be a bit, well, boring.   The dullness
of the logic and the sense that 100's of other people have trodden the same
ground before may lead you to the (possibly incorrect) conclusion that your
chosen implementation language is rubbish.

Unless you are particularly keen on this type of task, I'd suggest that if
all you want is the set of PHP apps you mentioned that you stick with PHP;
you sound like you know the toolset and could implement them well. If you
want to break new ground and really implement your own new idea then
ruby+rails is a great choice.

There are other ruby web frameworks out there. That said, if you choose
Ruby, I recommend you stick with Rails for your first couple of apps. The
ability to tap into the wide range of rails plugins/blogs/tutorials will
make your life easier, and will fuel your curiosity to dig deeper when the
time comes.

Best,

Si